Recycling is off to another strong start! We’ve already filled our first bin in the parking lot after only four Wednesdays of recycling. Thank you so much for sending us your recycling. We truly appreciate it.
In order to keep our Recycling Wednesdays as organized as possible (so we can get you on your way quickly) please help us by following these procedures:
1. Check-in with your class name, so that we can capture your points for your class.
2. All food containers that are recycled will need to be WASHED OUT and dried thoroughly to be accepted by our program.
3. Please SORT all items by type: water bottles in one bag, aluminum in another etc.
4. Recycling items with a symbol 1 must be separate from items that are labeled with a symbol 2.
5. Remember, we can only recycle plastic water bottles, aluminum cans and any recycling items with Recycling Symbol 1 or 2. If it isn’t one of those, we cannot recycle it!
The following are examples of plastic recycling symbol 1:
- Plastic Water Bottles
- Peanut Butter Jars
- Narrow Neck Containers
- Mouth Wash
- Salad Dressings
- Water Bottles
The following items are examples of plastic recycling symbol 2:
- Milk Jugs
- Juice Bottles
- Bleach Detergent
- Household Cleaner Bottles
- Shampoo Bottles
- Dairy Tubs
- Medicine Bottles
- Kitty Litter Jugs
Recycling Contest Rules: New to Chaparral? Here’s how our Recycling Classroom Contest works.
You are issued points for each bag of recycling that you bring in (so be sure to check-in with your class name to get the credit). These points are based on the size of your recycling bag and are allocated as follows:
1. Small grocery store plastic bag: 1 pt.
2. Medium white kitchen plastic bag: 3 pts
3. Large black trash bag: 5 pts.
4. Double points are issued for cans and for any recycing with a symbol 2 (from now until December!).
5. When we are in doubt we always round up.
Each month we will award a trophy and a book to the class with the most recycling points. The trophy will rotate through the winning classrooms (no waste here). Each quarter we will announce a winner who will receive either a pizza or ice cream party in their classroom. The recycling contest results will appear in an email at the conclusion of each month. We look forward to another successful recycling year at Chaparral, as we continue to set a green example for our students and raise money for the school.
Please direct any questions to Carrie Green at email@example.com.